Signs to Look For in Your Roof for Excessive Sun Exposure Damage
As a homeowner, it’s essential to keep an eye on your roof’s condition to ensure that it provides the necessary protection for you and your family. One of the most common culprits that can damage your roof is the sun. Over time, excessive sun exposure causes the shingles to become brittle and lose its protective coating, leading to several roof issues. In this blog, we will discuss the signs to look for in your roof for excessive sun exposure damage.
1. Check for Cracks and Peeling - One of the most visible signs of sun damage on your roof is the presence of cracks and peeling. These cracks can be caused by the sun’s UV rays breaking down the shingle, making it brittle and easier to crack. You may also notice peeling, where the shingle’s layers start to separate. If you see these signs, it’s time to replace your roof.
2. Look for Discoloration - Another telltale sign of sun damage is discoloration. When shingles are exposed to the sun’s rays, they may start to fade and lose their color, which is a clear indication that they need replacing. You may notice spots on your roof that are lighter or darker than the rest of the shingles.
3. Check for Missing Shingles - Sun damage can also cause shingles to curl up and fall off your roof. If you notice any missing shingles, it is a clear indication that your roof has been negatively affected by excessive sun exposure. Replacing your roof can help prevent further damage to your property.
4. Look for Moss or Algae Growth - Although uncommon, excessive sun exposure can also lead to moss or algae growth on your roof. This is because the sun’s UV rays can cause moisture to accumulate in the shingles, creating a perfect environment for moss and algae to thrive. If you notice green patches on your roof, it’s essential to have a professional inspect it immediately.
5. Inspect the Attic - Finally, you can determine if your roof has excessive sun exposure damage by inspecting its underside. Head up to your attic and check for signs of water damage or leaks. Sun damage can cause shingles to become brittle and crack, allowing water to penetrate your roof. If you notice any water damage, it’s essential to have your roof looked at by a professional.
Excessive sun exposure can cause several issues with your roof if left unchecked. If you’ve noticed any of the above signs or concerns, it’s essential to have your roof inspected by a professional roofing contractor to avoid any further damage to your property. Roof replacement or repair can be expensive, but it’s worth the cost in the long run for your family’s safety and comfort. Remember to keep your roof well-maintained to ensure that you get the most out of it for years to come.